Thursday, July 2, 2015

A MUST-DO TIP TO ENSURE A FUN ROAD TRIP WITH THE KIDS ...#HEELSTOTHEWHEELS

My roll dawgs aka my children, and I just recently had the pleasure of hitting the road in the 2015 Buick Encore for a trip to Lawrence County in New Castle, PA. Nestled between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, Lawrence County is just a gas tank away from Washington, DC, literally. Lawrence County has many attractions which includes being the "Fireworks Capital of America." While the kids and I had a blast taking in sights from participating in a Simple Life Amish Tour to getting up close and personal with inhabitants of Living Treasures Animal Park, if you're a Parent such as myself, you know that half the work is prepping to hit the road.
  
"Non-antsyness" prevailed
I have three children and the trip from Washington, DC to Lawrence County, PA is approximately 4 1/2 hours and while not bad particularly for me because I LOVE road trips, when hitting the road with kids, they can get antsy and bathroom breaks are likely. My oldest is 11 and I have twins who are 9. While there are now many music streaming apps, I love Spotify. I have a library of playlists at the ready for when I take my morning runs and need to stay pumped and even when I'm heading to church and want to listen to my gospel faves. As the kids and I were packing and readying ourselves for the trip the day before leaving, I had a thought regarding building a playlist for them. One, I love to hear my kids sing, they are typically totally oblivious to me and will sing as if no one is watching but I also thought it a good way to curb that boredom and "antsy-ness" that kids can sometimes fall into when on the road. So in an effort to engage them in the trip and make them feel even more a part of what we were doing and where we were going, I asked each of them to write me a list of their fave songs and instead of picking the songs myself, I allowed them to pick 6 songs each so it became a project. I set a deadline which was before they went to bed and I would then build the list prior to hitting the road. It turned out to be the best idea! At the point in which we were so far out that we could no longer access local stations and they didn't want to hear anything on SiriusXM, I was able to access Bluetooth handsfree in the 2015 Buick Encore and access their playlist. When I first played it, we were at the halfway point in our trip and it kept them occupied the entire rest of the way. 
My kids handwritten playlists
2015 Buick Encore Bluetooth

Happy Kids, Happy Mommy!!!

What do you do to ensure a fun road trip when hitting the road with your little ones?

Be sure to look out for my full review of the 2015 Buick Encore. Keep checking back! Better yet, subscribe.



Follow my "Heels To The Wheels" chronicles on Instagram and Twitter @bagladies, hashtag #heelstothewheels.
--
Follow me on IG/Twitter and Vine @bagladies.
--
 

New season lineup soon to come to the online airwaves of Bag Ladies Radio. In the meantime, OnDemand/iTunes are 24/7. Check out my fave show picks and access recent shows and the full archive at bagladiesradio.com/listen

No comments:

Post a Comment